By Chef Ned Bell, Buy BC Ambassador
Indulge in a delicious holiday feast. This has become a centerpiece of my family gatherings – Johnston’s Pork holiday ham paired with roasted BCFresh potatoes and Brussels sprouts. This delightful pairing not only caters to everyone’s favourites and traditions but also introduces a symphony of unique flavours with the addition of the award-winning Grandpa J’s seasoning.
Consider making a meaningful choice by incorporating Buy BC products into your festive meals. By opting for local produce, meats, and goods, you not only treat your family and guests to the freshest flavors but also play a crucial role in supporting our local farmers and producers.
From crisp BCFresh vegetables to locally raised meats and artisanal treats, choosing British Columbia products becomes a flavorful celebration of our region’s culinary excellence and a gesture of support for the hardworking individuals who cultivate our land.
This year, let your holiday table tell a story of local abundance and community resilience by choosing the some of the best from British Columbia for your feasts.
- Johnston’s ham
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp of Grandpa J’s Original seasoning
Lemon Roasted BCFresh Potatoes
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes cut in half
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Grandpa J’s Greko Lemon seasoning
Roasted BCFresh Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb BCFresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of salt
Double Smoked Bacon and Ambrosia Apple Relish
- 4 cups ¼ inch diced double smoked bacon (I like using Johnston’s bacon)
- 2 cups ¼ inch peeled and chopped BC ambrosia apples (similar size to the bacon)
- 1 medium shallot, fine diced
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup cranberry juice or apple
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ cup maple syrup or honey
For Holiday Ham
- Cut the ham in half.
- Rub each half of ham with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Season each half of ham with 4 tbsp Grandpa J’s Original seasoning.
- Bake ham in a preheated 425-degree oven for 1 hour.
For Lemon Roasted BCFresh Potatoes
- Cut the Yukon gold potatoes in half.
- Toss with olive oil and season with Grandpa J’s Greko Lemon seasoning.
- Place the potatoes in a casserole dish and bake in the pre heated 425-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and tender to the fork when pushed into the potatoes.
For Roasted BCFresh Brussels sprouts
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and toss in olive oil and salt.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a casserole dish and roast in the pre heated 425-degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
For Double Smoked Bacon and Ambrosia Apple Relish
- In a shallow pan, sauté the bacon in the olive oil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Pour off the fat.
- Add the apples, the cranberry or apple juice and cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the vinegar and the maple or honey.
- Add the cracked black pepper.
Slice 2 slices of the ham and lay it on the plate, add the roasted potatoes and the Brussels sprouts and spoon the bacon and apple jam over top.
Did you know that 90% of the pork consumed in B.C. is sourced from outside the province? At Johnston’s, they support local farmers and businesses to provide British Columbians with high-quality pork year-round, highlighting the importance of buying B.C. pork when shopping for festive meals this season.
Fun fact: Grandpa J’s Seasoning is made in East Vancouver with premium ingredients, is female-founded, and has a celebrity fan in Ryan Reynolds who shouted out the company for their Vancity Grind seasoning.
BCFresh is a beacon of freshness and quality in the heart of British Columbia and is an identifiable product to ensure you are buying premium, locally grown produce year-round.