Chef Laura Moore
- 2/3 cup B.C. yellow onions, diced
- 3 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tsp B.C. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 2/3 tsp B.C. sea salt
- 2/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb B.C. ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp Mexican or Cajun spice blend (to taste)
- 2/3 cup B.C. red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 lb B.C. brown mushrooms or white cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp B.C. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage leaf or powder
- 1-2 tsp Jalapeno, cored and diced (optional)
- 2 cups B.C. green leaf lettuce, washed and chopped thinly
- 1 medium, ripe B.C. tomato, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 100 grams white cheddar or mozzarella
- 2 medium, ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2/3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp B.C. sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Mexican OR Cajun spice blend
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 4 large, or 8 small hard shelled taco shells, or 8 medium soft wheat/corn tortillas
- Add 1 tsp oil in a medium sized frying pan and saute B.C. yellow onions. Cook over medium-low heat, until golden for 8-10 minutes.
- Add 1-2 tsp chopped B.C. garlic to taste and cook until golden and fragrant, another 4-5 minutes. Add coriander powder, cumin, B.C. sea salt and black pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes. Transfer B.C. garlic and onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1 tsp of oil and B.C. ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into chunks and cook 12-15 minutes, or until evenly browned and cooked through. Once browned, add up to 1 tsp Mexican or Cajun spice blend to taste and mix in cooked B.C. garlic and onions, cook for another 1-2 minute to meld flavours, then remove pan from heat.
- In a fresh medium sized frying pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and add B.C. pepper and mushrooms. Saute over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, then add 1 tsp B.C. garlic, 1/2 tsp each sea salt, black pepper and sage leaf or powder, and cook another 5-6 minutes, or until veggies are golden brown. Remove from heat and season with 1/4-1/2 tsp Mexican or Cajun spice blend to taste. (For extra spicy add 1-2 tsp Jalapeno at same time as adding garlic.)
Side Veggies & Cheese
- Each in a separate bowl, place chopped B.C. lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and grated cheese. Set aside for toppings.
- In a separate bowl mash avocado with lime or lemon juice, coriander, cumin, B.C. sea salt and Mexican or Cajun spice blend to taste. (For extra spicy guacamole, fold in minced Jalapeno.)
- Use 4 large, or 8 small hard-shelled taco shells, or 8 medium sized soft wheat/corn tortillas.
- Separate taco shells and set out as singles on tray, spray edges lightly with oil. Before serving, and warm in oven at 300 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Soft tortillas may be lightly grilled in a frying pan to warm through.
- Serve with B.C. salsa.