Chef Tony Starratt
~Two Rivers Specialty Meats
The Tomahawk steak is one of our favourite BBQ show stoppers. It has a real cowboy feel and is easier to grill and serve than it looks! With this simple salt rub recipe and grilling instructions you’ll be set to impress at your next cookout.
Recipe based on ~2.5 lb tomahawk steak cooked to medium rare
Salt Rub Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Toast coriander seed in dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant and golden. Finley chop the fresh herbs and set aside. In a mortar & pestle or coffee grinder add coriander seed and lightly crush. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- For best results use salt rub within 5 days.
- Heat an outdoor grill to highest heat. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season steaks generously by massaging in your salt rub.
- Sear the steak for 5 to 8 minutes on each side. You’ll know the steak is ready to flip when it releases easily from the grill.
- Transfer the steak to a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing
- Carve your steak along the bone first to remove it, then cut the meat against the grain and serve with finish salt.